Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Performance & Success Advice Blog Post # 4 - Marketing YOU

At the University of Central Florida, I studied Marketing.  One of the most important lessons I learned in business was in a Professional Selling class.

This lesson was a simple one...the science of marketing yourself.

As good as you are in your field, you need to be able to clearly and effectively communicate your valuable skills and qualities to others.  You literally need to be selling yourself!  Haha not on the street corner, but in your ability to share your success and experience with others in a way they can understand.

In order to adequately be able to sell anything, you need the appropriate marketing tools! Marketing yourself is no different.  Here are some marketing tools to effectively sell yourself:

1.  A Resume - This one is a must!  
Templates can be found for free easily on Google.  For CareerBuilder's Resume Center's Top 10 Resume Advice" visitThe Collegiate Performance Magazine Website

2.  A Career Portfolio
I have one of these that contains my mission statement, my resume, undergraduate work samples, samples of my business work, samples of my presentation, recommendations, references, an about me section (including favorite quotes, favorite business books, interests, etc.), accomplishments and honors, and more.  *This looks really impressive when you take the time to put it together

3.  At least one nice suit

For Professional Image advice from the senior VP of Tom James, a fine custom clothing company, please visit - Ash Deshmukh on the Professional Image

4.  A Personal Brand
For professional advice on marketing yourself and building a brand image, check out the PERFORMANCE article by speaker and author Scott Ginsberg, a.k.a. The Nametag Guy - Scott Ginberg's "Ten Brand-Building Lessons Learned from Wearing a Nametag 24/7

5.  A way for others to see your personal brand and what you stand for!
Examples are a Twitter account and a LinkedIn account.  Definitely a professional e-mail!
Follow me on Twitter - Jeff Greenstein
Follow my blog on Twitter - SuccessAdvice
Follow my magazine on Twitter - 4CollegeSuccess
I have a personal & professional e-mail: JeffGreenstein@ymail.com & JeffG@thePerformanceMagazine.com

Did I miss anything?  Questions?  Comments?  Blog with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment